Friday, August 13

It's Not Raining, It's Not Pouring

Here's the message I typed up this evening for out-of-town friends and family:

To: A Whole Bunch of People
From: Dave
Subject: We Were Prepared ... But Spared

Hello all!

Britt and I are high and somewhat dry. Hurricane Charley decided to take a detour at the last minute, coming ashore near Port Charlotte. As I write this, Charley is rushing across the state toward Orlando. It's never good news when a hurricane hits, but Britt and I feel really lucky that we were spared the brunt of the storm.

The day began with an eerie calm, and the sky was steel gray. It was quiet and surreal, and everyone could sense something sinister in the air. One of my coworkers (who comes from Utah) turned to me around noon and said, "I will never look at the phrase 'the calm before the storm' the same way again."

We got some moderate rain today, and practically no wind. Britt, who didn't have to report to work of course, said the electricity never went out at home. I got back from work around 7 o'clock, mentally exhausted and unable to consume one more iota of hurricane-related news.

Tonight we are safe and sound and we'll be sleeping in our own bed! Now, let's hope that Lee and Michon (my brother and sister-in-law, for those of you who don't know) don't get doused too badly tonight: Charley's expected to sweep through Jacksonville after it gets through Orlando.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Cheers
Dave

No comments: