Sunday, September 18

The Daily Dave's Guide To The Galaxy

I don't know how many times I have reread "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in my life, but I'm sure it's more than 42. I didn't know what to expect when the movie came out earlier this year, but I found the film charming and I rushed out to buy the DVD earlier this week.

I've heard some people fault the film for missing many of the book's nuances and quirks, and for messing around with bits of the plot. I think these are minor complaints -- "Hitchhiker's" lost none of its appeal or wit, I believe, on its long journey from page to screen. The movie delivers sights and sounds that the book simply can't: hearing Marvin talk, watching a Vogon plod around and read poetry, seeing the Guide in action.

Plus, in all the many times I've read the book, I've never encountered a toe-tapping song-and-dance number involving dolphins. The film's got all that -- and bulldozers! and bypasses! -- in just the first few minutes. The opening lyrics:

So Long & Thanks for All the Fish
So long, and thanks for all the fish
So sad that it should come to this
We tried to warn you all, but, oh, dear

You may not share out intellect
Which might explain your disrespect
For all the natural wonders that grow around you

So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!


Brilliant!

Final thought: Read the book. See the film. Read the book again.

Finaler thought:

Slartibartfast: I'd much rather be happy than right any day.
Arthur: Well, are you?
Slartibartfast: [laughs] No.

No comments: