Sunday, October 30

NaNo Nooooooo!

National Novel Writing Month (aka NaNoWriMo) starts Nov. 1, and I still have no idea what I want to write.

No characters. No plots. No clue even about a genre.

The problem, I think, is that I want the end result to be a poignant, touching story which reveals some great truth about life and society, but (1) my writing skills aren't adequate to produce a work of grandeur, and (2) I'd end up with some rambling, misdirected, boring tome that wouldn't be worth the paper I'm not going to print it on.

I'm still stunned when I can string two words together coherently, let alone put together a sentence, paragraph or story with some style and substance. When people complement me on my writing, my gut reaction is: are you kidding?

Also, I think I should try to write something funny and unpredictable, in the vein of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or a Carl Hiaasen novel. Humor is one of my strengths. At least, I think it is. If it's not, I'll have to take it off my resume.

Oh well. I'll probably just hammer out "All work and no play makes Dave a dull boy," several hundred times. Or even better, in homage to the Simpsons: "No TV and no beer make Dave something something."

Anyone have any ideas for my novel? Leave me a comment. Please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the next hurricane image katrina ; the easy way to keep going.

Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word halloween, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.