Wednesday, September 12

Best. Song. Ever.

Starbucks is currently playing one of my favorite songs of all time, "Uncle John's Band" by the Grateful Dead.

When I was a freshman in college, Pauly McGuire and I would put this play this song all the time. Sometimes we'd put "Skeletons in the Closet," the Grateful Dead greatest hits album, in the CD player, turn the stereo all the way up, point our speakers out the window, and head outside to play football or hang out in the field across the street from our dorm.

So much fun. We pissed off a lot of people.

The grassy field is long gone -- it's now underneath Emory's new business school building. Pauly travels all over the world, writing about the world of professional poker. And I'm here in Tampa, working for the local daily newspaper. Once in a while, when I'm lucky, I get to sit here in a chain coffee shop and work on my blog. When I'm really lucky, I get to hear a great song that brings back fond memories.

Come hear Uncle John's Band by the riverside,
Got some things to talk about here beside the risin' tide.
Come hear Uncle John's Band playing to the tide, come on
Along or go alone, he's come to take his children home.

1 comment:

Dr. Pauly said...

Those were some good times. Thanks for the flashback.