Monday, September 17

A Brush With Fame (In Which I Am The Famous Person)

At Target this evening, as I was stopping by the pharmacy, an elderly lady approached me and asked, very politely, "Aren't you Dave Whatever-It-Is, the guy from The Tampa Tribune?"

"Yes, ma'am, I am," I replied.

"I see you in the mornings I television," she said. "You're very good."

"Thank you very much," I said.

As she walked away, I wondered if anyone has ever called Matt Lauer "Matt Whatever-It-Is." I was amused, but not offended. After all, I'm not on TV every day, and I don't have a particularly memorable last name.

Later, as I drove home, I realized that I never actually told the lady my last name. I picture her on the phone, excitedly telling her friends, "You'll never guess who I ran into at Target! Dave Whatever-It-Is! No, I don't know his last name. No, apparently he didn't know it either."

No comments: