Wednesday, September 19

He's Just Not That Into My Story

For a while now, I thought it would be fun to work "He's Just Not That Into You" into the lede of one of my stories.

I never imagined I'd use it to kick off a story about a Federal Reserve Board rate cut. However there it is, in black and white, on the front page of today's Tampa Tribune: "Ben Bernanke is just not that into you."

It works. It works great because Bernanke is the Fed Reserve chairman, and the gist of the story is that the cut's mostly about reassuring people on Wall Street, and doesn't really do much for you and me -- or our wallets.

(By the way, lede is not a typo. This is how it's spelled in the newspaper industry. I have always been told that lede is written this way so that, in the old-timey days when reporters rode to work on dinosaurs and wrote stories on contraptions called "type-o-writers," there wouldn't be any confusion between the lead paragraphs in the stories and the lead spacers used to lay out pages. So there. Thhhhpppt.)

No comments: