Sunday, September 16

Liveblogging the Emmys

I don't know how much of this I'll end up blogging, as I'm tired and I really can't tolerate Ryan Seacrest.

7:58 p.m.: We're still in the pre-show dreck, and some British guy is telling us that everyone looks "sensational" and "fabulous."

8 p.m.: The show kicks off with a song by Brian and Stewie from "Family Guy." It's got a great "Sopranos" gag. I like the theater-in-the-round layout.

8:03 p.m.: Ryan Seacrest walks on stage. I can't believe it, but I would have preferred John Madden as host.

8:05 p.m.: Ryan Seacrest is hitting on Eva Longoria ... and seems to know a lot about her shoes.

8:07 p.m.: Ryan Seacrest makes a creepy comment about the 18-year-old cheerleader from "Heroes" and Jeremy Piven from "Entourage."

8:08 p.m.: Ray Romano comes on stage and Fox mistakenly cuts away during his first punchline.

8:12 p.m.: And the Emmy for supporting actor in a comedy series goes to Jeremy Piven, which means Rainn Wilson from "The Office" was robbed.

8:14 p.m.: Vanessa Williams looks like a gorgeous lime sherbet bird. She and America Ferrera announce that the best supporting actor in a drama series is Terry O'Quinn, whom I have never heard of before, of "Lost," a show I have never seen before. I wanted William Shatner to win because, after all, he's Captain Kirk!

8:17 p.m.: Commercial break. Why does Jessica Simpson agree to appear in advertisements that reinforce her public image as a complete airhead?

8:21 p.m.: Ryan Seacrest is back. He just insinuated that Paula Abdul tokes up.

8:22 p.m.: Tina Fey is presenting an award! I loooooove her. So is Julia-Louis Dreyfus, whom I love but not nearly as much. Jaime Pressly is named best supporting actress in a comedy series, beating out Jenna Fischer from "The Office."

8:25 p.m.: Katherine Heigl corrects the announcer after mispronouncing her last name! As someone with a last name that's often mispronounced, I love the chutzpah.

8:29 p.m.: Another commercial break. So far, with the exception of the opening animated song, I haven't been very impressed by anything I've seen on the Emmys.

8:33 p.m.: Ellen DeGeneres is here ... to introduce a montage of political one-liners, that segues inexplicably into a farewell to Tom Snyder? At least Ellen was able to hold our attention until Fox was able to get its TelePromTers working.

8:37 p.m.: Eva Longoria and the "Entourage" boys announce that Katherine Heigl of "Grey's Anatomy" wins the award for best supporting actress in a dramatic series. Everyone pronounces her name correctly.

8:44 p.m.: So far, the videos for the Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Program nominees was the funniest thing I've seen all evening. For the "Colbert Report" video, each of the writers slapped Stephen Colbert. Writers' names was inserted into Alberto Gonzales' testimony for the "Daily Show" video. The "Real Time with Bill Mahler" video was a none-too-subtle homage to Larry Craig.

8:46 p.m.: More commercials.

8:50 p.m.: Christina Aguilera and Tony Bennett are singing "Stepping Out with my Baby." It sounds great, and she looks very pretty. They are accompanied with the usual cadre of dancers; the men, inexplicably, appear to have had enough time to put on their tuxes, but not enough time to button up their shirts.

8:53 p.m.: I'm starting to doze off, so the liveblogging ends here. Perhaps something amazing will happen after I switch off the TV. Maybe, as rumored, Britney Spears will show up to apologize for her appearance at the Video Music Awards last week. I don't think that's going to happen though. If it does, I'll be content to read about it online tomorrow morning.

No comments: