Wednesday, October 17

But Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others

On one of the desks in my office, you'll find a University of Florida gator sitting astride another gator, like a cowboy riding a horse:

Gators riding gators?

Every time I walk past these two gators, I'm troubled. Why does one gator think it's okay to ride the other? Why does one gator get to wear clothing, and the other does not? It's like seeing the entire plot "Animal Farm" distilled into two stuffed animals.

I can't help but think of the universe of Disney cartoon characters, in which both Pluto and Goofy are dogs, but Pluto is a pet and Goofy can stand upright and talk. Why is one dog Mickey's pal, and the other Mickey's property? Wouldn't it be degrading for Goofy to walk Pluto? Wouldn't it be infinitely more degrading for Goofy to own Pluto?

The most important thing to recognize in all of this: I should put more waaaaaay thought into my career, and less thought into the rights and imagined slights of stuffed animals and cartoon characters.

1 comment:

Tampa said...

Am I the only one who sees sexual issues in this pose?