Tuesday, October 2

Untruth In Advertising

I saw these two advertisements Sunday in Denver International Airport:

"There's only one thing worse than missing your plane. Missing your favorite TV show."

I can only assume that this advertisement was written by assholes. Missing your flight is much, much worse than missing your favorite TV show.

Let's think this through. What do you think would be worse:

A. "Oh no! I don't know if Steve Carell said something inappropriate on 'The Office' tonight!"

B. "Oh no! I won't get to Dallas on time to make the presentation, and my company will lose the Henderson account, and I will be fired, and my family will have to eat ramen noodles and dog food for breakfast!"

(Here's an alternative to B: "Oh no! My company got the Henderson account, and my job is more secure than ever, but now I won't be able to get home tonight to celebrate this major accomplishment with the people I love most in the world: my wife/husband/non-legally-recognized significant other, and our children and/or baby elephants!")

I'm not an expert on advertising, but I'm pretty sure that one of the rules is that you shouldn't insult your potential customers' intelligence.

Here's the second ad:

"As a student, he was no Einstein."

This is just patently wrong. There was no time in Einstein's life when he wasn't an Einstein.

No comments: