Tuesday, December 25

Miracle On John F. Kennedy Boulevard

This is the first Christmas Day in a long time that I didn't step foot inside my office, a Chinese restaurant or a movie theater.

For a nice Jewish boy, that's quite an accomplishment.

Complementary Spouse Britt Shirley (the shaygetz) and I exchanged gifts first thing in the morning. Britt made cinnamon rolls. Then we chatted online with my parents in London.

At 10 a.m., we joined other members of our synagogue to help set up a holiday lunch for less fortunate families at a church in the Town 'N' Country neighborhood. A lot of people turned out to help, actually, so Britt and I left a little early. I felt we were getting in the way.

I took a little nap, and Britt began cooking a Christmas dinner. He made some things that his mother used to make: roast beef, baked macaroni and cheese, sweet potatoes. Britt roused me from my nap a little after 2 p.m. I could smell the delicious aromas as I headed down the staircase. Everything was delicious. I constructed tiny sandwiches out of the roast beef and biscuits -- my father, who considers sandwiches as both an art form and a philosophy, would be most proud.

After I had cleared the table and put away the leftovers, Britt and I curled up on the couch and watched the second half of "Miracle on 34th Street," which was playing on channel two-hundred-and-something-or-other on DirecTV. I hadn't seen this film in ages, and I had forgotten how satisfying it feels to watch the courtroom denouement scene.


Britt and I also saw an old Saturday Night Live Christmas special, which I had TiVo'ed a few days ago. After watching the saccharine ending of one Christmas movie, it was refreshing to see the finale to another classic get skewered:


My favorite sketch, though, was the "Delicious Dish" segment featuring Alec Baldwin. I have no idea how the actors didn't just break out laughing as they performed this:


Britt and I concluded Christmas Day with some dessert and, regrettably, "Deal or No Deal." Tomorrow, I'm headed back to work -- but I'll be filled with Christmas cheer!

Well, at least I'll be filled with Christmas foodstuffs.

Seriously, I might need to wear a tracksuit. Or worse. Do they make muumuus for men?

1 comment:

Dr. Pauly said...

I like Shwetty balls.