Friday, February 22

Transubstantiation Never Tasted So Good

I was a little surprised to find these treats in the Easter candy/pre-diabetes aisle at Walgreen's last night:

Transubstantiation in the candy aisle?

The item on the right is a cross formed out of chocolate.

This seems absolutely sacrilegious to me, but what do I know? I'm a Member of the Tribe. I think chopped liver is delicious, and I consider choking down a wad of gefilte fish to be an annual religious obligation.

I called Complementary Spouse Britt Shirley, who is a graduate of many Southern Baptist vacation bible schools, for his opinion on the chocolate crosses. He says he thinks they're inappropriate and tacky. I don't recall his exact words, but they went something like this: Jesus schlepped a heavy wooden cross all the way up a hill to die for our sins so you can eat a piece of candy shaped like the thing that he suffered and died on? I don't think so.

You can tell I'm paraphrasing because, as a graduate of many Southern Baptist vacation bible schools, it is highly unlikely that Britt used the word schlep.

I asked Britt if he's ever seen a chocolate Jesus. He said no, but if candy companies are making chocolate crosses, it's probably only a matter of time before the chocolate Jesus finds its way onto store shelves.

When that happens, I wonder if we'll see these words printed on the packaging: "Savor the flavor of our Savior."

No comments: